Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chelsie's Classroom 1/20/09

I spent the most wonderful morning today in Chelsie's 3rd grade classroom. (Thanks Chelsie, for allowing me to invade your teaching space and for sharing your amazing talents with me. I learn so much every time I visit your classroom).

I want to blog today about something I call "magic moments". These are moments when everything in a lesson comes together perfectly and all of the students are in-tune and are listening, right there with you in the moment. Well, I was so lucky today to witness one of those moments.

The day started with the usual lunch counts, daily oral language counts and silent reading. Then Chelsie gathered her students at the rug to teach a mini-lesson on Martin Luther King, Jr. She began the lesson by asking the students "What do you know about him?" The students actually knew quite a bit and even commented on things they had learned in previous grades. Then she asked, "What do you want to know?" She listed the students answers on a chart and used it to activate the student's prior knowledge and set a purpose for later reading and writing. Then she shared the picture book Martin's Big Words. The students were asked to touch their nose when they heard an answer to one of their questions and touch their shoulder when they heard something they already knew. She also pointed out the text structure of the book, with Martin's quotes in bold, colored letters.

After the read aloud, she gave each student a copy of the "I Have a Dream" speech and the students stood in a circle to participate in a shared reading. I mentioned that the actual audio file of the speech could be found on-line, so we found it and were able to listen to Dr. King himself giving the speech as the students followed along. I thought the students would get bored, but they were amazingly attentive and quiet. It was as if he was right there in the room with us. After this, Chelsie asked the students questions about how the speech made them feel. Several students made comments that brought tears to my eyes. Some talked about how grateful they are for the friendships they have with students in the class of different nationalities. One girl commented on how Dr. King sounded proud and happy of what he had accomplished. It was just magical. Right as we finished this activity, the class watched the inauguration of President Barack Obama. It was perfect. Chelsie commented that she couldn't have planned it any better and she was right. It was so ironic to think that fifty years ago, the African Americans were fighting for their most basic rights and now we have a new African American president. It was awesome and the students were perfectly behaved and attentive. They got it! I loved how well they followed along while listening to the King speech. The most important part of shared reading is that the readers eyes pass over the print with voice support. The students seemed committed to following along and so I would call it a very successful shared reading experience. Listening to the actual audio file also allowed us to feel the full emotion and passion of the speech as well.

Later in the morning, I was able to watch how Chelsie has organized her centers and guided reading groups. I was particularly impressed with a sheet she has created to track her guided reading lessons. She also told me that she has created a great new system of having the students edit their writing at home with their parents. She created a sheet to send home and several teachers at the school have asked her for copies and want to use her idea. Chelsie also mentioned that she had found some good online resources that will help her in working with her high readers in their guided reading group on the book Matilda.

Being in the classroom today reminded me of how much work it takes to stay on top of everything that needs to be done daily in a classroom. Wow!

Chelsie,

I was so impressed today with the depth at which you teach your students every day. It was a highlight to see how you are using assessment to guide your lessons. For example, today you used the KWL chart to get a sense of what your students already knew. Then, as you taught, you supported the students with any new information and used questions to guide you to the next thing you would teach or say.

You also do a wonderful job of getting your students to think critically without just giving them the answer. I saw an example of that when one of your students mentioned that black people use to be kept apart from white people. You immediately began giving clues and using questions to guide that student to use the word "segregation".

I don't know if you realize it or not, but you are skilled at supporting the students with their language skills. You explain definitions, have the students repeat big vocabulary words, teach students the correct way to say words that may otherwise be difficult and you provide visuals and other resources to support language learning.


Your students are so well trained, they knew exactly what to do at every minute. When you simply mentioned that the students would need to create a brainstorming web before beginning their writing on the I Have A Dream writing piece, I wondered if any of the students would actually do it. It was so refreshing to see every single student heading back to their desks and immediately begin work on their webs.


Your enthusiasm for teaching is
contagious. After you finished Martin's Big Words, you looked at the students and asked, "Did you love that book?" Well, how could they not? You loved it and it showed. That excitement transferred to your students and set the stage for the later "magic moment."

Here are the things I need to follow up on for you:
Provide the sorting chart that can be used in conjunction with Words their Way
Provide you with a word wall chants, cheers and practice strategies handout I have in my files
Provide Words Their Way resources from upcoming conference
Schedule time to come in and teach guided reading
Get a copy of your Guided Reading Lesson Plan Template with the 3-columns. Could you e-mail it to me?

1 comment:

Chelsie Campbell said...

Teresa!
What can I say?! You're amazing!!! You are MORE than welcome to come ANY time! Seriously! Not only do I LOVE having you come in and just build me up, but I love the suggestions you give and the way you give them! You are always so positive I just love it. We wouldn't have had that "magical moment" if you wouldn't have given me the FANTASTIC idea of listening to Dr. King give the speech online. I think it seriously was a day these kids will never forget (which is something I strive for EVERY day, but it only happens every once in a while.) :) It was just one of those days that I've always heard teachers say makes it "worth it". And it totally did do that! I alos loved your other ideas about the Words Their Way things and I'm excited to see what you have! I asked Kim about hers and she said she'd get them to me so I'll check on that again this afternoon. Also, I am SO excited to have you come do some guided reading! That is seriously my next big area I want to do some work in. I feel like the new lesson plan template I have and the things I found for some books are really good but I'd love to talk to you more about some other things since I know you're the GR EXPERT!!! :) Also, we talked about my new Writers' Workshop stuff but I never got to show it to you so I'd love to do that sometime. Anyway, I will send you the GR lesson plan template that I have. Aleasha deserves credit for that brilliant idea! :) She's wonderful. Well, I hope you've had a wonderful week! I'll be looking forward to you coming in again! Thanks again for all your encouragement and positive feedback! I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful CFA! (oh and PS- In the next few weeks, when I finish typing it, I'd love to have you look over my TWS. It's not QUITE ready yet, but when it is I'd love some feedback.) Thank you again!