Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Meredith's Classroom 1/28/09

Today I spent the morning in Meredith's 5th grade. Her kids are so much fun and full of personality. Whenever I am there, I miss teaching and wish I could go back.

I owed her class a bingo game, since I didn't get to play bingo with them when I visited in December at Christmas time.

After that I taught a writing lesson on persuasive writing. The kids brainstormed a lot of great topics they could write about like getting a movie theater in Springville, improving the quality of school lunch, asking their parents for pets, convincing the principal to let them play tackle football. We also had a good discussion about how different forms of advertisement (commercials, billboards, Internet pop-ups, magazine ads, etc.) use elements of persuasion.

I got to see Meredith working with a literature circle group. I like how she uses different clipboards to keep everything organized. When the students meet with the teacher, they grab their folders and the clipboard and bring it to the group. Everything Meredith needs to track the group is on the clipboard. The groups are very comprehension centered - as they should be in 5th grade. Her students are having great discussions about books and reading quality stories on their level. I am so thankful for guided reading and the opportunity it gives all students to not only work in smaller groups with their teacher, but also to read on their appropriate level.

Meredith - when I was in your class, I noticed a folder stapled on the front wall that students were putting pink papers in. What are those papers? Is that part of the guided reading assignment? What other things are you doing in guided reading that you like?

No comments: