Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Guided Reading Queen

I loved the post that said Teresa is the "Queen of Guided Reading" and then someone else said that she's the "Yoda of Writer's Workshop". Haha I totally agree. I just wanted to share something that I saw Teresa do in Guided Reading that was SO simple, but I would have NEVER thought of doing it. She came and worked with my high group who is on an S. They've been reading the book Matilda. The biggest thing in that book is VOCABULARY! So Teresa picked out some words that were more difficult and she just cut strips of white paper and folded them in half. She wrote the word on the outside, and then when she opened it, on the "inside" was the word in the sentence from the chapter. She had a word for each student in the group. She showed the word to everyone in the group and then gave it to one student. She told them to read the word, then open it up, read the sentence, and try to use the context clues to figure out a definition for the word. Each student had a minute to work on this, and then they got to share with the group. It was SO simple, hardly any preperation, but it was SO effective! Anyway... just thought you might like to try something new! :) Also, I was told this idea a while ago and most of you probably do it... but I didn't know! You can do word work on the table with dry erase marker! Ah! It's the coolest thing! The kids love it because they're "writing on the table" and I love it because they're learning word work! :) It's great! Anyway... good luck and happy guided reading! :) -Chelsie

No comments: