Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What would I change?...

Well that's a tough question Teresa. Because I have 29 students and I'm in a portable, those were my first two thoughts (less students and more room!) However, I love my class and deep down I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. :) (That might be different tomorrow though!) And although my room is not the biggest, and it is rough to walk outside EVERY time I have to use the restroom, make a copy, print something, etc... that's not the one thing I would change. I've thought about the curriculum... there are some little things I'd like to change about that, but overall, it gives me a guide as to where I need to go. I also thought about all of the "extra" things we do besides just "Teaching" (SEP's, grades, assemblies, field trips, etc.) But, without all of that accountability and extra fun, our job might be kind of pointless and tiring. So it came down to this... my students. Now I know I said I would not get RID of any of my 29 students, but I WOULD like to change some of their "attitudes" and motivations. I wouldn't want EVERY single student to be a genius because that would make my job pointless. HOWEVER, I would like all of their attitudes to be positive. I would like them to be motivated in every subject, every day! OH the things we could learn if we were ALL motivated EVERY DAY! haha! I might have to change my own attitude to match that some days. But really... wouldn't that be cool to have 29 motivated, happy, positive students?! Maybe one day... :)
-Chelsie

4 comments:

Meg Camper said...

I would not want to get rid of any of mine either. They kind of become like your own children!

Teresa Jordan said...

MOTIVATION!!!!! I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think that is what I would want too. EVERY SINGLE STUDENT MOTIVATED. Can you imagine that? WOW!

I wonder if we can turn this problem over to the bio-chemists of the world ... there's got to be a pill they could make for that right?

I really don't know the answer to this one because I've seen you teach and I don't know what more you could do to keep them engaged and excited.

In the end I really think it comes down to creating a positive classroom environment and just helping each child feel loved. If you can do that, you've worked a miracle. Maybe the writing assignment never got finished and maybe someone wasted time during centers, but they will leave your classroom a better person, and really isn't that what matters in the long run?

Teresa Jordan said...

I also want to comment on what Meg said above...

Do you realize that you spend more quality time with those kids each week than their own parents?

For this year...they are YOURS!

Chelsie Campbell said...

Teresa- I'm so glad you agree with the motivation thing! Let's work on getting that pill made k? :) I do totally agree with you though about the classroom environment. That's what I remember out of all my elementary school years and that's what I want all 29 of my students to remember as they leave my class this year. I think it can happen if I just keep trying to provide that positive learning environment for them. Oh and PS- remember in my February Frustrations post how you mentioned that it could be the weather lately? Well... today was SUNNY! And it was SUCH a great day! Really! I felt like things just went SO smoothly today! I loved it! :) Anyway, have a wonderful evening! It was fun talking to you today at the Principal's Panel! :)