Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ashlee

Lately I've noticed that my students are starting to get more restless and bored in my class. We've now been in school for five months and they are kind of bored with the daily routine. I decided that I needed to change somethings. I changed the way our class was arranged. I was surprised how much this helped to mix up the class. Another thing that I've done is sometimes I will switch the order of things that I teach. My students are so use to the schedule where it sometimes gets mundane. Once a week I'll switch two subjects. I've found that this has helped with their restlessness. Which is a good thing because we still have three months!

2 comments:

Meg Camper said...

I like the idea of changing your routine around, and I am glad it works. I wish I could do that for my restless students, but with all the rotations we have it makes it essentially impossible.
Meg

Teresa Jordan said...

Great idea Ashlee. Another thing you can try is adding just one little thing to your schedule that seems fun and interesting to the students. One year, I started doing what I called "Brags". The students could submit a "brag" about something they noticed one of the other students in the class doing well. Then, every Friday, we would gather at the back rug for the last few minutes of the day and I would pull a little "brag sheet" from the bag bucket and I'd read it. It would sound something like, "Cody wants to BRAG on Kayla because he saw her helping a first grader who was crying at recess. Then we would do a little Cheer for Kayla from our "Cheer Box". I will do a posting on the Cheer Box so you can see what I'm talking about.