Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Just one thing???

If I could change any one thing about my classroom, it would be that the students would be more respectful of each other outside of the classroom. Not saying they are ALL like that, but I have a couple that are constantly calling out, calling people names, tattling, and it drives me bonkers! If I could change those two students' difficult attitudes, it would be amazing. They are usually the ones that interrupt and disrupt the flow. We are working with them, and they are getting better, don't get me wrong, but of course some days are better than others!

2 comments:

Rachel Bastian said...

What would I change?

If I could change one thing in my classroom, I think I would see more creativity. For example, for one of my centers my students got to color and cut-out a picture of Washington (after everything was done, of course). Well, I admit I am NOT perfect becuase I got the wrong color of paper to use for the project. Instead of just sitting there or asking what they could do about the problem, these students asked for blank paper so they could color it and cut it out. Some of you might not be impressed by this, but this is AMAZING for my second graders. I love how they took the initiative to solve their own problem! If this was a common trend among students I think that we would see more higher level thinking and more problem solving in real life and school situations. I would love that.

Teresa Jordan said...

Isn't amazing how much one or two students can really affect the climate of your class? I think there are so many teachers who feel just like this.

As I think about each of my interns and their classes, I can name one or two students from each class that know how to push their teacher's buttons. And the sad thing is, much of that behavior comes from things these kids have learned at home...and how do you CHANGE that?

I remember thinking, "oh, if only Johnny could be absent, then maybe we could have a good day." Isn't that sad?

I'm glad that you love and care about your class and want them to be kind to one another.